The Science Centre is a major new addition to the Xavier College campus. The commission for the project was won via a selected architectural design competition. Founded in the 1870’s, Xavier College occupies a spectacular site on Barkers Road Kew. The school buildings are grouped on the brow of a prominent hill surrounded by an open landscape of sports grounds. The most prominent feature of the School is the copper domed 1930’s Chapel, which can be seen for kilometres across the eastern suburbs. This together with the nineteenth century South and West Wing buildings forms a high quality architectural ensemble that is recognisably Xavier College.
The Science Centre is located on the eastern boundary of the campus parallel with Charles Street on an elevated and prominent site. The building is organised around a central courtyard as the main circulation and orientation space. The courtyard has an intriguing skewed geometry due to the rhomboidal shape of the site. It provides a sense of place and arrival for the science faculty. The main bank of 11 laboratories is located to the east over 3 levels with direct links back into the Morris Wing and the main school beyond. A smaller Development Office contains the western edge of the courtyard reinforcing the dynamic plan form.
“….the architectural excellence of Peter Elliott and his colleagues is clearly on display…to deliver a fine facility which will be enjoyed by thousands of Xaverians in the years to come.”Official Opening Ceremony, July 2008