This project involved a major internal refurbishment and extension to this important historic town hall. Built in stages from 1868-72 with later additions in 1912, the Town Hall is a fine example of Palladian Victorian architecture. The refurbishment includes a new enlarged Council Chamber and reception rooms along with a complete refitting of the municipal offices. A new informal entry extension and forecourt was created at the rear of the building that links through to the formal civic entrance on Sturt Street.
“The refurbishment of the Ballarat Town Hall by Peter Elliott is an example of architecture at its finest….Elliott has shown how much more can be done when contemporary architectural issues meet community projects in an historic setting… it is a remarkable collaboration between detail, light and space.”RAIA William Wardell Award Jury, 1997