The State Government Offices have been completely refurbished to provide new accommodation for the Department of Education. This grand historic building was constructed in 1875-76 and occupies a pivotal location within the Treasury Reserve overlooking the Treasury Gardens. The brief was to provide flexible contemporary office accommodation whilst keeping the best and most original parts of the building. This included the former Premier’s Office, State Government Cabinet room and grand stair and entry hall.
“It is all very handsomely done… and with a keen appreciation of the heritage and history underpinning the layer of late 20th century practicality. It is an exemplary conservation outcome; other governments should look and learn”RAIA Lachlan Macquarie Award Jury, 1998