The McCraith House by Chancellor & Patrick Architects is one of Melbourne’s most significant 1950’s beach houses. Also known as the butterfly house it is one of very few modern houses on the Victorian Heritage Register. Generously donated to RMIT in 2013, the house will be used by university academics and researchers. RMIT has established the McCraith House Fellowship as part of the Writers in Residence Program, a prestigious annual award. Refurbishment works are modest in scope as the house has been well maintained throughout its 60 year lifespan. RMIT is a committed custodian of a number of important heritage listed buildings but this is perhaps the most unusual.