The Eldon Hogan Performing Arts Centre is a major new addition to the Xavier College campus. The commission for the project was won via a selected architectural design competition. Founded in the 1870’s, Xavier College occupies a spectacular site on Barkers Road Kew. The school buildings are grouped on the brow of a prominent hill surrounded by an open landscape of sports grounds. The most prominent feature of the School is the copper domed 1930’s Chapel, which can be seen for kilometres across the eastern suburbs. This together with the nineteenth century South and West Wing buildings forms a high quality architectural ensemble that is recognisably Xavier College.
The Performing Arts Centre is located on the eastern boundary of the campus parallel with Charles Street on an elevated and prominent site. The Centre contains a 550 seat auditorium wrapped on two sides by transparent glazed foyers of a lower scale. These glazed circulation foyers face west and south to address the spectacular views and main arrival space. The auditorium takes advantage of the sloping site to embed the volume of the space into the topography thereby reducing its overall scale impact. This approach allows the building to knit well into the landscape by retaining the surrounding landform of grassy embankments and individual specimen trees. The new building is clearly a separate contemporary structure located in an extraordinary setting.
“….the architectural excellence of Peter Elliott and his colleagues is clearly on display…to deliver a fine facility which will be enjoyed by thousands of Xaverians in the years to come.”Official opening ceremony, July 2008